Juice Fast Progress

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Day 5: Challenges appear.

Driving to Healdsburg last night, at around 9:30pm, is when the first of the freakishly intense hunger pangs hit.  They weren't so much a feeling of emptiness in the stomach as it was an intense psychological compulsion to get a steak. It was not, "man, I'd love a steak right now". It was, "YOU MUST FIND A STEAK RIGHT NOW OR YOU ARE GOING TO DIE.".  I did not succumb to the temptation, and I'm proud of that - I did have a few slices of cucumber and a carrot in Healdsburg, though.

The main thing that has me freaked out is that I don't know how to objectively reassure myself that I'm not actually hurting my body.  I feel alert, but I also feel very weak and this cough has lingered. I'm coughing up a lot of infected, gross, thick phlegm. I doubt that this cough was entirely caused by fasting, though I feel like I'm lacking something that I might need to combat it.

I've been doing this for long enough now that it doesn't feel novel to my body. Since the last 5 days have definitely felt longer than 5 days, there's less thinking about how many more days I have to go.

On the upside, I was around a fair amount of debauchery, chemical and otherwise, last night, and I did not feel any desire to participate. That's something of a new thing for me, actually - I often abstain from indulgences, but when I do so, it is an act of will to overcome the desire for participation and immediate gratification. This was different - I could imagine what it would feel like to be drunk, or various kinds of stoned, and I just really didn't want to feel that.  I'm glad I got to experience that.  I also laid down a fantastic Electro set kinda out of the blue, so... go go gadget new alertness.

3 comments:

Stacy Bissell said...

I've been dancing in my chair just thinking about your set all morning! xo

smoov daddy t said...

dude, you hurt your body every time you have a steak

Unknown said...

Chris!!!
This is awesome!!!
I am thrilled and inspired by you!